Re: Memory problems with XyDOS (4) under Win98?

Judith Davidsen  wrote:

> >From a regular Xydos screen, alt+enter gives me a window, maybe 2/3 of a full screen
> high, called Editor. The largest font I can get here is True Type 13 x 22, which is
> not quite large enough to suit.

When using Xy in windowed mode (which is what you're describing
above), and you have already chosen the biggest font available from
the selection window, there is only one way to make that font appear
larger on your screen: *reduce* the screen resolution of Windows by
one notch. To do this, right-click anywhere on the desktop, choose
Properties and then Settings. Set the "Desktop Area" slider to a lower
setting. Typical available choices are 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024,
and 1600x1280. Choose the next lower one from the one you have now.
This will reduce the amount of information that is visible on your
Windows screen at any one time, but the DOS window will be larger.

> Any attempt to get a full screen--from the icon, from
> properties--sends me back to Xy's regular full screen with the regular Xy font, which
> also is not quite large enough to suit. .

In full-screen mode, does the XyWrite screen fill your entire
monitor? If yes, there is nothing you can do to get substantially
larger characters. (UltraVision can give you a different font that is
slightly larger.) If the XyWrite screen does not extend to the edges
of your monitor, you need to adjust the monitor itself. Fiddle with
its controls, or if it has one, push the "Auto Size" button. If your
video card comes with an adjustment program or a selection of
different drivers, that is another area that may be worth looking
into.

Please note that the above explanation assumes that you use a desktop
computer + video card + monitor. If you are using a laptop, the
situation again is different. On many laptops running Windows at a
resolution of 800x600, 1024x768, or higher, the "full-screen" DOS
window will occupy only a portion of the screen. There are usually
ways to switch that to a real full-screen display (with somewhat
coarser resolution), but these differ depending on the manufacturer,
and they may not be listed in the manual. (On my Compaq Armada for
example, pressing Fn+T toggles between small full-screen DOS and
"real" full-screen DOS; something that I only found out by calling
tech support.)

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx