From: "Steve Siebert"
To: "Anne Putnam"
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2001 1:31 AM
Subject: Xywrite list queries re keyboard assignments

Anne,

In regards to the XyWrite list emails you sent to me, I wanted you to
know that we have (in 5.5) made almost all keys available for
reassignment. The remaining exceptions (much smaller in number than
before, and generally involving keys not usually requested in the
various memos I've seen) are:

--Esc and PrtSc/SysRq are not available in any keyboard state
--Tab is not available in C, C+S, A, and A+S states
--F4 is not available in C and C+S states
--F6 is not available in C and C+S states as well as A and A+S states
--Del is not available in C+A and C+A+S states
--The following keys (harmlessly) pull down an NB menu, but can
otherwise take assignments:
 A+W
 A+E
 A+T
 A+I
 A+P
 A+F
 A+H
 A+V
 A+M
 A+Space, A+S+Space
--Pause/Break is accessible as key #90 in C, C+S, C+A, and C+A+S states,
and as key #69 in A and A+S states

I think Windows users will not be suppressed at the restrictions on Esc,
PrtSc/SysRq, Tab, Del, and Pause/Break. (Only F4 and F6 will perhaps be
surprising.)

But note that there are now no NB restrictions, other than the list of
Alt keys noted above (and even that follows a Windows convention). That
is to say, the keys that cannot be assigned by users are keys that are
reserved by Visual Basic for Windows.

SUMMARY OF KEYS NOT AVAILABLE (SAME INFO AS ABOVE IN DIFFERENT FORMAT):
----------------------
 C+Esc
 C+Tab
 C+F4
 C+F6
 C+#69
 C+PrtSc
----------------------
 C+S+Esc
 C+S+Tab
 C+S+F4
 C+S+F6
 C+S+#69
 C+S+PrtSc
-----------------------
 A+Esc
 A+Tab
A+W/E/T/I/P/F/H/V/M/Space
 A+F6
 A+PrtSc
 A+#90
-----------------------
 A+S+Esc
 A+S+Tab
A+S+Space
 A+S+F6
 A+S+PrtSc
 A+S+#90
-----------------------
 C+A+Esc
 C+A+#69
 C+A+Del
 C+A+PrtSc
-----------------------
 C+S+A+Esc
 C+S+A+#69
 C+S+A+Del
 C+S+A+PrtSc

Thanks to all of you for your interest in Nota Bene.

Anne (and Steve)

Anne Putnam
President, Nota Bene Associates, Inc.
aputnam@xxxxxxxx