Re: speedos supplemental printer fonts

Peter Goldberger wrote:
Using Robert's 40 supplemental Speedo fonts is quite simple, Manuel. Nothing need be done in a printer file. I downloaded the zip file from Brian's XyWrite.com and unzipped it. It opened into many files with names beginning "bx" and ending with the ".spd" extension. I then copied those into the /bitfonts directory where the existing font files reside for Xy4Dos. When I restarted Xy4Dos the menu for forMat, item typeFace, had a list of dozens of new fonts available, in addition to Courier10, Standard, Dutch and Swiss. All of them print just fine to my HP LaserJet II. Unfortunately, however, most of them are silly, decorative fonts. "Humanist" is not bad; looks a lot like Arial to me. "Geoslab" is a rather compact, serifed style. "ClassicalGaramond" is a less crowded Times-style font than Dutch. The rest I can't see using unless I need to print a party or wedding invitation. Once I figure out which bx-spd relates to which font, I'll probably delete quite a few. But what I was hoping for is something that emulates Bookman or Century Schoolbook. Is there a speedo font file out there like that, that I've overlooked?
I completely agree. In my humble opinion, the most usable fonts in the
package are:

BX000277.SPD	Classical Garamond	(A classic typeface)
BX000278.SPD	Classical Garamond Italic
BX000279.SPD	Classical Garamond Bold
BX000972.SPD	Classical Garamond Bold Italic
BX000290.SPD	Humanist 521 (aka Gill Sans)
BX000291.SPD	Humanist 521 Italic
BX000292.SPD	Humanist 521 Bold
BX000293.SPD	Humanist 521 Bold Italic

In a second place in terms of usability:

BX000485.SPD	Geometric Slabserif 712 Medium (similar to American Typewriter)
BX000486.SPD	Geometric Slabserif 712 Medium Italic
BX000487.SPD	Geometric Slabserif 712 Bold
BX000488.SPD	Geometric Slabserif 712 Extra Bold

In a third place:

BX000756.SPD	VAG Rounded (similar to Vogue)
BX000793.SPD	Modern 735 (similar to Bodoni Campanile)
BX000265.SPD	Humanist 970 Bold	(For some heavy headlines)
Anyhow, Humanist 521 and Classical Garamond are big improvements. I usually use PostScript fonts but I have to download them to the printer before printing (if I am using soft fonts beyond 35 basic Postscript fonts). Obviously, to use the new fonts it's necessary to turn on Image mode printing. With regard to the possibility of getting a Bookman or Century Schoolbook, Linux distros include some Speedo fonts (you could be interested in Bitstream Charter) but I couldn't make them usable for XyWrite.
Manuel Castelao