Alt Key in XyW 4

   Once again, I'm in need of some assistance in making a key in Xy 4.017
   work the way it did in Xy 3+. I'm referring to the Alt key, which, in
   Xy 3+ was used in combination with a letter or number key to retrive
   save-gets.

   In Xy 4, save-gets are retrived by invoking the F2 key and then the
   letter or number key. For me, hitting the F2 key is awkward. But the
   Alt key in Xy 4 follows the "industry standard" to pull up a menu and
   thereafter make additional choices. I'm trying to reclaim the Alt key
   for save-gets in Xy 4.

   Here is what I've done so far. Since there are two Alt keys on my
   keyboard, I'm leaving the right Alt key (number 98) alone to function
   as it would in Xy 4, but I have reclaimed the left Alt key (number 56)
   to function like the Alt key does in Xy 3. To do this, I have: (1)
   deleted the number 56 from the Alt listing in the Key Definitions in
   the Xy 4 keyboard file; and (2) I have assigned to key 56 in the
   keyboard table, 56=NI,SG. (I don't know why, but NI supresses the
   program's natural tendency to put up a menu anyway).

   This doesn't work quite like the Alt function in Xy 3+, but it's
   close. The difference is that it's not a good idea to hold down the
   Alt key when invoking the save-get's letter or number key. Just
   pushing the Alt key momentarily and then the letter or number key
   works. If the Alt key is held down, XyWrite makes some error sounds,
   but the safe-get is still retrieved.

   Any suggestions on how to allow the Alt key to be held down while
   pressing the letter or number key -- the way Xy 3+ works.

   Jim Eberle
   jeberle@xxxxxxxx