Re: ANSI vs ASCII

	I thought that for characters less
	than 128, the terms ANSI and ASCII
	were synonymous.
	--Richard Giering

Hi, Dick. I wouldn't presume to try to parse that
NB response, but will say that the term "lower 128"
is used loosely to distinguish <128 characters from
extended char sets; what's usually actually meant
is "printable" ascii, chars 32-127. Chars 0-31 are
control chars universally. xyWrite fuzzes that
a little since it puts all 256 at your disposal
for realworld printing purposes, usually directly,
sometimes as multibyte substitutes for chars
xyWrite itself reserves as control chars.

That ill-favored draft font seems to be the price
xyWin paid to retain the IBM extended char set. The
SmartWords switch to the ANSI char set erases the
aesthetic issue, but is a porting headache for my xpl,
which often uses extended char set chars that choke
in winNB's brave new ANSI world. Gripes like that
were exactly what TTG avoided by sticking with
the IBM extended char set for xyWin.

Dunno whether you can or would want to use any
of them for the winNB paragraph symbol, but the only
<32 chars I've been able to get it to render are the
four arrowheads, dec 16, 17, 30, and 31. ... Ciao. 			--a

	xyWrite 3 supplements !xyWise and !xyWiz +
	Wolfgang Bechstein's seafaring adventures: