Xy-OS/2 Shell: Available for FTP (For OS/2 XyWriters only)

> Robert,
>  The obvious best solution is to just upload it right now to
> hobbes.nmsu.edu, put it in the incoming directory, and we can all go
> get it immediately.

Hmmmm. Look, this has been tested by exactly two people on five machines,
albeit for several months. Hobbes is a little premature, IMO. So here's
what I've done -- but I'd prefer that XYOS2SHL remain "in-house", so to
speak, until a few more people have a chance to run it & get back to me
about their experience. Among other things, I don't know if yesterday's
fix for 4OS2.EXE works. So, for the time being, please restrict to members
of this list.

I uploaded XYOS2SHL.ZIP to:

 ccat.sas.upenn.edu/incoming

If you request a directory of ccat.sas.upenn.edu/incoming, CCAT reports
0 files (empty). However, if you know a file is actually in the directory,
and you know the exact filename, then you can download it.

The following worked with FTPPM.EXE, which is part of the IAK (Warp
Internet Access Kit, in the Bonus Pack). It did NOT work with WebExplorer!

 Log in as User "anonymous", Password=your Email address. In the
 "Remote Host" (lower) section of FTPPM's screen, set the
 "Current Directory" to "/incoming", and set "Include Files" to
 "XYOS2SHL.ZIP". XYOS2SHL.ZIP *must* be UPPER CASE! Hit Enter, and the
 filename should appear in the "Directories/Files" box (56K bytes).
 Highlight the filename, and do a "QuickTrans" (download it).

One note of caution: You must (MUST) follow the Quick Install instructions
in XYOS2SHL.DOC. In brief, you must unZIP everything into a temporary
directory, and then run INSTALL.CMD. You can't omit INSTALL.CMD
(because it writes the operational files).

One result of INSTALL.CMD is a new file called XYOS2SHL.U2. If you already
have a U2 file that LOADs when XyWrite is initialized, and moreover if it
includes the parsing frames (and associated ) that Distefano and I
have been trying to shove down everybody's throat for the past few years,
then you're all set: just MErge XYOS2SHL.U2 into your preexisting U2
file. If not, then you have a bit of tinkering to do -- but just a bit.
Quick Install outlines the basic steps. 5-10 minutes.

Lemme know.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx