Now, if Carl is right, it should be possible to copy-paste references into a header and insert oneself into a
thread, regardless what is typed into the 'subject' line.

Sample header (slightly cropped):
Delivery-Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:06:39 +0200
From: editor at hetchins.org
Subject: Re: different subject line, reply to
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:06:37 +0200
To: Flash

One more question: I don't see any obvious pattern to the message IDs. They increment not like TCP sequence numbers (which count bytes of user data).
Any idea how they increment, and whether it would be possible to anticipate the next one in a thread? ('Why would anybody want to DO that?' I hear
someone ask. Because we are clever boys with a sniffer and nothing better to do on a Sunday morning, that's why.)

PS for Patricia
Here's another gem from Emerson to flatter your fancy:
"Democracy becomes a government of bullies tempered by editors. "