Re: Windows XP and new hardware

--- On Mon, 7/25/11, Lynn Brenner wrote:

From: Lynn Brenner
Subject: Re: Windows XP and new hardware
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, July 25, 2011, 12:48 PM

I've been using XP and Xywrite III+ for years with no problem. Now, it looks as if my computer's motherboard (and perhaps other pieces of hardware as well) are on their last legs.

I use the computer for writing, editing, email and online research -- not games, video, music, etc. And I want to stay with XP for all the reasons cited here.

I can have someone build me a new computer and install XP and my current programs for less than the cost of a new desk top that's loaded with stuff I don't want.

My question: is there any known XP compatibility problem I should seek to avoid in selecting a new motherboard, hard drive, and processor?

Lynn Brenner
718 855 2179
new email address: mailto:lynn.brenner.nyc@xxxxxxxx

I've been seeing a fair number of queries and complaints regarding
AHCI-driver-required hardware (mostly for hard drives, with some
newer motherboards), but I have nothing to contribute on that score
-- re BIOS settings, workarounds, etc. -- because I'm still running
older hardware, and have never had to deal with this myself.
But it has been enough to make me glad I haven't run into it yet.

This is all a system hardware matter, and has no direct bearing on
Xy.  For example, some people seem to be unable to connect
external HDDs (mostly e-SATA), and have them be recognized.
Running W7 or 64-bit Windows may make this even more of a
problem, but I'm not sure about that.

  Jordan