Re: Solving Win7/XP/3.1 issues ONE/PS

And -- assuming that we need to provide our own W2K for Virtualbox -- I don't suppose there is any easy way to take an
*already installed one* off of an older computer that we might have gathering dust, and just transfer that as an image, for VBox to use ? Yes, you need a W2K install CD. You are correct there is not easy way to use an old setup. After all, a VM is a different hardware environment, a completely different machine (HAL problems). The preferred way is to install from an install CD or better still from an ISO image of the install CD. >How would this "shared folder" approach work ? Save the files there, for printing by a non-VM app, using the Windows print facilities ? By copying from system to system. You could prepare print files on the W2K system (print to file) and drop them to the appropriate printer on the host system. >I'm also thinking that due to the antiquated nature of W2K, there are likely some serious security issues, and one may need to take steps to insure that this VM has no contact with the internet ? That is very true. This is not for browsing the Net. >If Virtualbox is as capable, and can run Xy in a decent sized window, that might just be the ticket. Even if I have to undo the work I was already starting to do with XP Mode and start over. I hope the setup and operation of Virtualbox is not much more complicated than what I saw with XP Mode VirtualBox is equally capable and with W2K more lightweight, but if you have already XP mode running, that might just be the ticket. >Is there some particular version of Vbox to get Latest. William TeBrake wrote: >I simply installed a copy of Win XP inside VMWare Player This is fine if you have a spare copy that can be activated. W2K needs no activation and works well virtualized. Best regards, Kari Eveli LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland) lexitec@xxxxxxxx *** Lexitec Online *** Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/