mouse droppings in Xy4/DOS

Hi there -
	I was wondering if anyone had encountered a problem using the rodent
with Xy4 / DOS. When I move the mouse, it generates a stream of diamonds
(ASCII 04 characters) onscreen. Whether this stream is in the command line or
the text body depends on where the character cursor was prior to the mouse
movement.
	I'm using 4.014 with DOS 5 and the NDOS 6.01 command interpreter.
The mouse is serial, on COM 1 with MicroSoft's ver. 9.01 driver.
	Any suggestions/solutions would be most welcome.

	- Richard