Memory problems--GOTO vs. GOSUB

I've tested the (automated) changing of SUbroutines to GoLabels, and the
results are suspicious. In one program, the difference is dramatic: $M+6
just before exiting reports 30(!) for SUbroutines vs. 11 for GoLabels. But
in another (related) program, the difference is less: 16 vs. 14.
By the way, somewhere there was a list of optimal settings in the .PIF
(shortcut Properties), but a search of the archives didn't turn it up for
me. Nothing I set in there seems to make any difference, though.
After I exit the pgm that uses 14, $M+6 reports: 6. If I then run KILLMEM,
it goes down to 3. I tried to do a version of KILLMEM that wouldn't require
user-intervention, so that I have it run it at the end of this program, to
get the 6 down to 3, but it didn't work.