Re: xy windows

> One of xy's few inconveniences, for me, has been the necessity, when
> copying and pasting chunks of text from one xy window to another, to be in
> adjacent windows (i.e., you can paste into a new window only if you've just
> come from the window you're bringing text from). For whatever
> reason--looking through the intervening directory, or whatever--I very
> often end up at my destination window unable to dump the text I'd copied. I
> have to then Ctr+F10 and get myself back in order.

Tell me about it! (Sigh.)

> I'm working in xy3+. Does xy4 have the same limitation?

Yes.

> Any default
> settings or easy work-arounds I ought to know about? I suppose I could
> establish a combination of short programs and save/gets to accomplish the
> kind of leap-frogging I'm talking about, but if a default can be tweaked to
> accomplish the thing, that much the better.

Well I suppose you could establish such a combination. But: it might be
easier to simply do this. Save your define (the SAD command) to, oh I
dunno, XXX.TMP, whatever. Go to the window you want to copy the material
to, put the cursor at the desired place, and enter the ME (merge)
command: ME XXX.TMP. Cazart! Your text is pasted. Then do alt-F10 and
you'll return to the place you started from. (Be certain your
startup.int is set to open new windows automatically (df nw=1). As I
recall, in 3+ the default was they would not be, idiotic as that sounds.
And that was when only XyWrite offered you nine windows.)

--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press