A political aside

Peter Evans, perhaps joking, as is his wont, wrote:
> I'd rather write direct-to-web, and thereby save trees.
I stifled my desire to make an anti-environmentalist response, in the name of conserving bandwidth. But then someone supplied me this tidbit from the Washington Post:

"So much of the United States remains forested largely because of the demand
for wood," said Patrick Moore, one of the founders of the Greenpeace
movement ... many Americans have unfortunately gotten the idea that when they
buy a piece of wood, they're causing a bit of forest to be lost. The truth
is, they're actually ordering new trees to be planted."
" ... Most of the timber harvested in the United States comes from the forests of
private landowners. 'If no one wanted wood, they'd cut the trees down and
start growing corn or soybeans,' Moore said."

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx