Re: Polarbar security non-issue {was Trolling for Dollars}

Robert Holmgren wrote:

Up Front Disclaimer: this post has nothing to do with PBM.

> The hell with ZoneAlarm

It has been a useful product for some, because it's more than decent and it's free
(the basic version, anyway), but it does clamp down on a number of things with a
rather knee-jerk reaction, unless it is properly configured. (I happen to prefer a
good hardware firewall, but that's another story.) The thing is, not many typical
users of such products ever bother to learn how to use them.

I heard a rather blood-curdling account yesterday about a doctor who had lots of
patient info, his own financial info, and so forth on his computer. For starters,
he had his Shares wide open, so his network was ripe for the picking. Then, he
disabled his ZoneAlarm because it was giving him "annoying error messages." You
might suppose a certain level of intelligence is required to make it through med
school, residency, and board certification in a specialty, but . . . .

Jordan