Re: Stopping USB drives from XY4

 I have no accesss to Win 98 or any version of Win other
 than XP Pro, and I can confirm that Robert is right, as
 least as regards XP. If one loads that programme asso-
 ciated with the icon "Safely Remove Hardware," one gets
 the message "Safe to remove now" or something very similar.

Unless one doesn't. Which happens to me 5 out of 6 times.
 Perhaps this does not occur with Win 98 or versions of Win
 other than XP.
Win 98 has it too, but it doesn't come with Win98, it comes with the
flash-drive drivers or some other software bundled with them.
 I cannot tell. Maybe someone using XP
 can confirm that this is how XP works? I also have a
 laptop running XP, and I get the same results on the lap-
 top.
I'm not sure I get your question. Of course this is how XP works--it has
that built-in module for preparing a removable item to be removed safely.
The question I have is: can I ignore it and (with > 85% success) just yank
stuff out? That's what I've been doing, more or less, since the "Safely
remove hardware" module is garbage--doesn't work most of the time.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx