ProgramFiles Mystery solved; Corel's downgrade

Paul Ambos was on the right track. I right-clicked that folder from My
Computer and looked at its properties, and it was not merely archived,
but write-protected. So then I write-protected one of my data directories
on E:, and tried to get a DIR of it from the XyWrite command line. Same
display as of ProgramFiles: nothing listed. Whatever Windows does when it
write-protects a folder, XyWrite cannot get a listing unless it's in that
folder (using the CD command activated by F9--or whatever key you use for
"run command on the command line from the text area"). By contrast, when
a FILE is write-protected (as all my data files were after I restored
them from the CD-R), XyWrite calls them all right, but then won't let you
save them back.
	If anyone uses Word(Im)Perfect, don't think of "upgrading" to 2002.
They've taken out the XyWrite conversion filters (limited as they were),
which I think I mentioned before. They've also cut about 75 percent of
the fonts (WP 2000 was worth the price for its fonts alone), the booklet
printing function is far more kludgy (you have to refeed each sheet, one
at a time), and booklet publish to PDF no longer gives you a PDF with the
properly imposed two pages on a sheet. Nor did they fix the bugs that
make its autoincrementing counters unusable for anything more than a 1,
2, 3 list. They did leave Reveal Codes, which though not a patch on XyW
is light years beyond Word's idiotic formatting procedures. And oh yes,
Word 2000 has a GPF when it tries to read native WP 2002 files. (I don't
WANT to use these kludges, but clients do.)
Patricia