Re: XYWRITE to PDF

If you don't need to do it often enough to justify the heafty price of
Acrobat, a German programmer, Christian Alexander Daniel Kassler, has
come up with a leaner, meaner, and cheaper alternative, PDF-Creator;
according to the manual, it "uses GNU GostScipt [sic; last time I
looked, if was GhostScript] to produce the PDF files." He's published it
under the company name CAD-KAS (http://www.cadkas.com), whence you can
download a 2Mb demo version (it won't handle files larger than 100 Mb)
You need to have a postscript printer driver installed and set up to
print to a file, then use PDF-Creator to create a PDF from that file.
That has the advantage, I should think, of letting someone who knows
Postscript tweak the ps file, rather than having to go back into XyWin. I
suppose you could even do it from XyDos, if you have a driver for one of
the PostScript printers supported by the DOS version. I'm seriously
thinking of registering and getting the full version (US$29); besides the
impossibility of using auto numbering in WordPerfect, Corel's publish to
PDF uses the screen, not the printout, as its source and leaves rivers
down the middle of a page. This would let me create files in XyWrite and
give them to the benighted masses who have never heard of XyWrite.
	If you have trouble finding the download, I still have it on my F: drive
and can send it off list if you'd like.
	On a related issue, anyone have any idea why XyWin suddenly is having
problems printing to the Windows driver? If I change fonts midway through
a line (e.g., a bold run-in head, but the rest of the line in normal),
part of the line doesn't print al all. And if I embed the ≪X1≫ to mark
a line for a table of contents before the ≪US...≫ style command that
contains an auto-counter, the auto-counter doesn't print.
Patricia