generalized startup.int

Is there a way to modify startup.int and settings.dfl for Xy 4 so that they
can be used in a number of different drives?

Here's the background:  My primary computer has Xy in C:\xy4, so
startup.int and settings.dfl specify file locations as beginning with "C:\"
I sometimes run XyWrite from a floppy (usually "A:"), a Zip disk or (now) a
USB "thumb" drive ("E:", "F:", or "G:"). The drive letter
for these other
sources varies according to what else is attached to the computer, and the
order in which they were attached.

XyWrite seems to want fully specified file names when setting defaults. I
seem to recall that xpl provides a way to determine the location of
editor.exe, but I don't know how to use this to provide a
substitute/variable for "C:\".

Myron