Re: VMWare player

Dear Paul,

I am not a big fan of VMware, but it is now the only way I can run XP,
which I need for some programs.

However if you want to use Unity to place programs in the start menu I seem to recall that leads other problems (though I cannot now remember what) if like me you want everything available through keyboard shortcuts.
The guest must be up and running for a particular shortcut to work from host to guest. Otherwise, I find this very usable. For those who have not tried Unity, the setup process is as follows: Edit Virtual machine settings, Options tab, Unity, Applications, check Enable applications menu. When the vm is running, but not in full screen, there is a button next to the full screen mode that will put you into Unity mode. Once in Unity mode, you can access the vm's start menu (WinXP start menu in this case) by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+U and launch guest applications from within Win7. By going to a program link's context-menu, you can "create a shortcut on desktop" from this Win7's XP Unity start menu. You can put it in your Win7 start menu or pick up the command line from this shortcut to run it as batch file, etc. > when I am using the virtual machine for work, rather than just playing > with it, I do not really need to be able to interact with it. In my experience, I think this is quite the opposite, having the opportunity to control the vm is most welcome when doing real work. Best regards, Kari Eveli LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland) lexitec@xxxxxxxx *** Lexitec Online *** Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/