Re: American Heritage Dictionary

> > The ad for Am. Heritage claims 200,000 entries, whereas the
documentation > for the Random House Webster's, College Ed.,
claims 180,000, so (even > with ad agencies defining what counts
as an entry) they may well be > similar in scope. Note that
since Novell bought the latter, there is now > more than one
version; the Home & Office version will be much smaller > than
the College ed. I think RHW discounts at much less than $69.

  The Webster's I was talking about is the Webster's from
Multilex, not the Random House -- it has 500,000 entries. You can
look in Kister's reference work on dictionaries for a unbiased
comparision. And the list is $199, but Multilex was promoting it
at the $69 price. There is also a CD-ROM version from another
company, ---- this is the electronic version of Webster's New
World Dictionary, Third College Editon. I still paln to get the
Random House too, since it has a lot more slang and "new" words,
than the more conservative Webster's --- BTW, Random House is not
 supposed to by using the name "Webster's" anymore, they got sued
big time for that, cost them about 5 million, if I remember
right.