Re: What the modern stuff can't do.

Russ W. Urquhart wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 08:39:48AM -0500, Timothy Olson wrote:
> > Just off the top of my head . . .
> >
> > XyWrite gives you complete control over every character of text.
> > XyWrite gives you direct control over formatting
> > XyWrite easily treats files in batches
> > XyWrite allows searching through an entire directory
> > XyWrite's macros run incredibly FAST! (Word being at least an order of magnitude slower.)
> > XyWrite is infinitely customizable and programmable
> > XyWrite allows you to save dozens of text blocks "on the fly"
> >
> > In short: XyWrite's text manipulation capabilities far outweigh those of any other program.
> >

> For me:
>
> accessibility via an ASCII file.
> Speed and performance.
> Works on an 8086! (Just gets faster on faster machines!)
> Offers tremendous Functionality, while not getting in your way!
> Extreme level of customizability and programmability.
>
> and for me, most importantly
>
> elegance of design and functionality.
>
> This certainly seems to be something the modern stuff can't do. And it's not
> limited to wordprocessing, imo.
>
> Russ
>
> > --TLO
> > Timothy_Olson@xxxxxxxx
> > (630) 668-8310 x327

> > I end up pushing the same agenda here! What do you tell them that the modern
> > stuff can't do? (I have my own preferences, but it's good to know what others
> > like about XY!)
> >
> > Russ

 How about also: file management? It's a lot easier to open and close new directories,
subdirectories, etc. in XyWrite than in Windows Explorer. (MKDIR, RMDIR, etc.)
  easier to copy files (of all sorts) to backup disks in XyW.
  easier to change names
  easier to erase files.

One of the great unadvertised shortcomings of Windows, however, is that if you erase a file using
a DOS program like XyWrite there seems to be no way of unerasing it (though extra programs like
Norton Utilities are some help).

Am I wrong on this? (I hope).

Nick