Re: Win 8 v. Win 7

Some of you may recall that I have been a user of OS/2, which has soldiered on as eCS (eComStation), in a way somewhat similar to how Xy lives on inside of Nota Bene.  (Although there is much more of a 1:1 correspondence, in the former case.)  eCS does still run Xy4 just fine, at least as well as it ever ran on W98 or W2K, and possibly better.  I do still have eCS on a couple computers, and maintain an upgrade license, for the forthcoming v2 upgrade release that has been in beta for quite some time.

I just mention this, although it wouldn't be any attractive solution for Lisa, or most of the other List members.  I think at least a couple other former users here have since migrated to Linux distros, from which they may be running Xy4.  I have no plans to abandon eCS, but don't fire it up that often anymore.  It is fine for your basic office apps, so if you need to use a spreadsheet for example, Open Office for OS/2 (which has a different ownership these days, and may have changed its name) would have you covered.  There are also light-duty photo editors, a very good file manager, and various other things.  But it always had some weak spots -- multi-media is one glaring example.  To some extent, apps ported over from Linux, such as a version of the VLC video player, have helped, yet the shortfall remains substantial.  Since I routinely use a large number of video and audio manipulating apps, this effectively mandates use of Windows, and I suppose Linux or the Mac would be the other likely alternatives.  There would also be the additional nuisance of having to continually jump between different file systems that are not particularly compatible with each other.

  Jordan