XyWrite in Ubuntu Linux

>>Any particular reason for using DosBox and not DOSEMU?
>>Isn't it easier to mount your entire *nix file system with DOSEMU?

>>Just curious... Nice screenshots. Not only did it "have to happen", but I do
believe it *has* happened, quite often! I've had three *nix boxes running
XyWrite. All worked like a charm. Oddly enough, this very day I thought about
installing it on my Debian box... (Ubuntu is Debian by another name, isn't it?)

Well, I should have known you were well ahead of us on this, Robert!

Yes, Patricia is right. That XyWrite icon is somehow redrawn from the cover art/logo of the first XyWrite documentation I ever saw (1986?), which came in the box with XyWrite III+ and its original two 5.25" floppies. I downloaded the icon from some forum years ago, I think.

I posted a few months ago about wanting to attempt this with DOSEMU, and someone mentioned DOSBox. I found that DOSBox is still being maintained and developed while DOSEMU hasn't been supported since 2001 (neither is XyWrite, technically, so why did that stop me?). Both DOSBox and DOSEMU have been compiled for Ubuntu, but I didn't even look at DOSEMU seriously. I don't suppose there would be any disadvantage to trying both DOS emulators on the same computer?

Yes, of course you're right. Ubuntu is a customized version of Debian using the Gnome desktop.
Did you use DOSEMU for XyWrite each time, Robert, and were there significant difficulties to work out? Xy under DOSBox moves like molasses when I call up the XYwwweb index, but executes most individual U2 routines very deftly (the ones I've tested). I'm happy for the moment, but after reading your post and Fred's, I suspect I could be happier with DOSEMU after all.

(I'm sorry, Fred. I just read your message too but I'm too weary to respond ... Except that I understand from other sources that DOSBox is quirky about printing, at best, but I think too that you have to configure it explicitly to recognize the printer port. Nothing automatic here! I'll look more closely at your comments and questions after I've had some sleep, I promise, but I think it's great that you're running XyWrite on a Mac.)

Thanks everyone, and have a pleasant tomorrow,
Jeff

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000437.