Re: Footnotes/Endnotes formatting

At 08:24 PM 1/5/2008, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
You're all, I'm sorry to say, reinventing the wheel where this particular problem is concerned. Simply make your Footnote format definition read:
That makes a tab (you want a tab, not one of two spaces; see below) part of the format.
Just to clarify:  does NOT insert a tab in the
footnote. The TS= there simply defines the value of the tab you put
in the footnote either when you create it or as Jon Inggs says, when
you convert all FN1s to FN1{period}{tab}s with a routine.
As for getting the period in there too, I never minded typing it. but if you do you could create a bolierplate and assign it to a key combo in your keyboard file.

Yup, wish I'd thought of that 800 pages ago.
It would embed (yes, Michael, spelled with an e in this country; British English may be different) the open
Well, I should not have imbedded that allusion in the middle of an
inquiry. Actually I was hoping to get you to declaim on the nuances,
but enough-- The footnote is more important.
I seem to recall that someone (Maben?) had a routine a while back for copying text to an open footnote window from another window.
Yes, that series of exchanges (with CD I think) sent me to U2's
several useful footnote routines.
As for the SP question, I need to test that on a system that prints, which just now I don't have. (The printer attached to my desktop is out of ink, but I KNOW I have a cartridge here someplace; the laptop only prints through TYP--USB only--and my GSview installation has something skewwhiff, which I've not had time to straighten out.)

Tried it on the NB engine too; no luck.
As for getting the page number, the officially approved way to do that is to use a REP command (4-112 in the CG). There are, however, two problems with that method. 1. Each label has to be unique. I think one could use an XPL incrementing number loop to automatically embed the label. BUT
2. In my experience, REP just doesn't work. What prints out is
"see p. 000." I don't know whether that's caused by OOM or what.

Thanks for the cite. I'll start reading.
>And before Robert starts inveighing against over-formatting and self-publishing, I agree >with him about that, but it really is easier for the editor/publisher/typesetter if you use tabs >where you know a tab is going to go (or should go) later. I've been on BOTH sides of that >issue.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Leave the formatting to the
publisher? You set the page up the way you want it to look, then the
publisher tweaks it. Point about tabs is well taken.
Michael Norman