Re: [virus] -- Winsock32.dll

** Reply to note from "Yo Intl."  on Tue, 28 Nov 2000
16:30:15 +0900

> this pesky Hanson virus ...
> I have eradicated it from all the places where it took root, but there is
> one file that remains corrupted, and that is: \windows\system\wsock32.dll.

> Is there any way to replace this file without re-installing Windows?

Extract it from \WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS or your Windows installation CD
-- it's in WIN95_18.CAB under W95 OSR2, and in PRECOPY1.CAB under
W98SE, e.g.:

extract /e PRECOPY1.CAB wsock32.dll

Boot to DOS. Replace infected DLL with original version. Reboot
Windows.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Anyone who pitches a virus,
unless they immediately identify how and why it happened and take
action (e.g. switch ISPs), ought to be removed from the List
posthaste. Respond to contagion with isolation. Malice *is*
involved -- clearly! Why should we suffer? And why is it necessary
to labor the obvious? "Twice beg pardon doth not pardon the twain"
(or whatever Richard said, something like that...).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx