Re: OT: Books on writing?

Harry Binswanger wrote:
You're singing my song (metaphorically speaking) in regard to "comprise." And how about the frequent use of "is comprised of"--a contradiction in terms.
Gad, yes. We have half a dozen terms (compose, make up,
constitute, go to make) for what the parts do to the whole. Only
ONE for what the whole does to the parts, viz. comprise, and the
illiterati have to make it a useless synonym for the others.
And mea maxima culpa: comprehensus should be so spelled, with the
r that my lazy fingers missed.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx