Re: printer error messages

Robert Holmgren wrote:
I can't agree about the last point -- I hate those damn
asterisks. Again, they're protecting me from myself?? Wretched
people.
No, NO, I agree with you 101 percent. Those asterisks are the bane of my existence. I suppose if you're logging on to your company's VPN over the Net at a Satrbucks you might want to be sure that no nosy parker or war driver could scoop your password. But when I'm alone at home or in the office, I SHOULD be able to turn it off and SEE what I'm typing. (Otherwise, I don't KNOW what I'm typing.) But Vista does--sometimes--let you turn of the asterisks and see what you're typing.

But anyway... are we talking about the same thing? I'm
confused. You say you have a BATch file to issue NET USE
commands to enable access, from your computer, to the storage on
other computers -- right? Presumably that means you're using
UNC commands -- right?
Yes. But forget about that issue. I tried today at the office,
and was able to log on through the GUI. So the other time, either
(1) I mistyped something or (2) I was trying to do it from that
XP box that was in terminal bit-rot (now refreshed by a complete
reinstall).
I confess, I have NEVER run any
machine of mine as anything but Administrator,
Again, agree completely. Too, too frustrating to be constantly
told You can't do that. Only exception is when I'm on the
library's wireless network, where there are all sorts of suspects
lurking. And now that we have DSL at the office, I'll not be
lugging the laptop to the Library very often.
I've seen machines, especially with Symantec, where
you can't use the LAN. Uninstall Symantec, and -- magic!
Wouldn't run the ruddy garbage if they paid me.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx