DOSEMU/DOSBOX question

I've followed what I think are most of the recent posts here on the above,
and still have some questions that I have not yet seen discussed or answered.
People say, for example, that a given Linux disk can be made accessible to
the DOSBOX or DOSEMU. The question I have is about the semantics of that
accessibility.
As part of it's DOS heritage, Windows gives an uppercase 8.3 name to every
directory and file, in addition to it's long name. In addition, it's case
insensitive in filename recognition. So I can access "File.TXt" in any DOS
app, which will normally accept mixed case filenames but will fold the name
to uppercase before doing the DOS open call (or perhaps the call itself
folds it, I'm not sure off hand), thus actually accessing "FILE.TXT", which
will work because Windows ignores case.
So, the question would be, what are the corresponding semantics when one
uses DOSBOS/DOSEMU. They could be file-system dependent -- on a Linux
filesystem, for example, I can have both a README.TXT and readme.txt in
one directory, so I very much doubt that I could get at both of them with
something like XY in a DOSBOX (since XY intrinsically will ask for
README.TXT by virtue of using DOS calls). With FAT or NTFS, it's impossible
to have both a README and readme in the same directory, and I would think
that this should be true under Linux as well.
So, what happens with XY in a DOSBOX/under DOSEMU? Is it file system
dependent? Can I access long filenames using short equivalents, as per
Windows? With EXT2 or EXT3, or just with NTFS or FAT file systems? Is there
anything that I can't access with XY, simply because of it's filename?
I've read a lot of FAQ's on DOSBOX and DOSEMU, here and there, and I'm
absolutely amazed at how these questions are never addressed. They seem
pretty fundamental, to me. Pointers to a FAQ or page which does address
these questions would also be appreciated.

TIA
Wally Bass