Caps locked

All right then: having recently uttered two cheers for XyWin 4.12, I feel
compelled to describe (i.e. bore you with) a new--well, as "bug" is a
strong word, let's call it a new eccentricity.

This I think has something to do with the CapsLock key, or anyway with
being locked into ALL CAPS.

I have a keyboard with Ctrl next to A, which I happen to like, and so need
no other way to swap keys. I use the CapsLock key hardly more often than I
accidentally hit it: perhaps once every couple of days. Keyboard,
CapsLock, system all seem to be working fine (except for a booting oddity
that's tedious to explain and anyway completely irrelevant). I haven't
recently and knowingly made any changes to Win95 or Xy4Win.

During some periods, CapsLock seems to work in reverse in XyWin. (When it
appears to be off--the indicator diode on the keyboard is off, the box
immediately to the right of the time display in the XyWin window is blank,
typing abababab in any other program produces abababab--then typing
abababab in Xy [whether in the text area or on the command line] produces
ABABABAB. When it appears to be on--the indicator diode on the keyboard is
on, the box immediately to the right of the time display in the XyWin
window says Cap, typing abababab in any other program produces
ABABABAB--then typing abababab in Xy produces abababab.) Text input is
simple, but however many times (odd or even number) I've hit CapsLock,
commands for such things as simple as cursor movement work erratically.

Usually XyWin hangs after the second, third or fourth such command. I then
bail out, using Ctrl-Alt-Del. This always works. (Unsolicited praise for
Mickeysoft: I've found Win95 to be very good at closing down recalcitrant
programs.) But when I restart Xy, the problem remains. More surprisingly
(and worryingly), it remains when I close down XyWin, close the GUI,
restart the GUI, and restart XyWin.

Meanwhile, all other programs work fine: I can type away in TextPad or
TSE32, freely using CAPSLOCK if I wish, and I get what I expect. And with
Xy, the trouble tends to go away as inexplicably as it arrives.

Baffling.
Peter Evans