Re: Question reg. dial.pm

Please forgive me for horning in on a private correspondence, but your
comments suggest you may have some ideas for me.
Years ago, I ran XyWrite (various DOS versions, down through XyIII [I was
never happy with XyWrite IV]) under a DOS program called DESQview (written
by Quarterdeck) that did much the same kind of program managing and
multitasking that Windows does, only much faster and with far fewer
keystrokes.
Ultimately, because DESQview had no graphics, I finally--very
regretfully--switched to Windows, now Windows 98.
DESQview had a wonderful telephone dialer that I have been trying for years
now to find an equivalent for. Its unique feature was that you could put
the cursor above and/or to the left of any string of Arabic numbers on your
screen, hit a couple of keys, and the dialer would send the numbers to your
modem. If they were somebody's birthday, you wouldn't get anything, but if
they were somebody's telephone number, you could pick up the phone and be
talking to him.
There are a gazillion telephone dialers for Windows, but they all require
that the number you want your computer to dial must be in some special file
of "Frequently Called Numbers."
The beauty of the DESQview dialer was that the numbers did not did not have
to be in any such file but just on your screen. You could be running any
program: a spreadsheet, a database, a memo. I used always to put phone
numbers into every letter, under the recipient's address, in reverse
video. I could just call up my most recent letter to the person I wanted
to reach and have the computer dial the number.
The DESQview program was a DOS program. The dialer must have been
recognizing ASCII characters.

Does any program or utility exist in Windows that would do what I want?
I am assuming that the utilities you have been discussing are DOS utilities. If they are not, if they work in Windows, then Eureka!

Your comments, please.

--Bob Kubie

At 01:11 AM 11/1/99 -0500, Harry Binswanger wrote:
At 04:05 PM 10/31/99, you wrote:
>RH:
>>That's an antique. I wrote it, and it was available on the BBS at one point.
>>But it only worked with 2400 baud modems; it manipulated the COM port.
>
>That is fine! The work computer I want to use it on only has a little 2400
>modem connected.

It still works with my 14.4k modem (I sent ADT.COM to Rene, and will send it
to anyone else who asks for it.

Harry

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx