Re: converting v4.017 diacritics -Reply

"One further question: Would it be possible to run a search in Xy4 that
identifies all characters above 255, to identify such problems in advance?"

My quick & dirty solution is test-to-destruction: I copy the file to an
expendable dummy copy, and run a macro that deletes all *ordinary*
characters. I have variants to (a) eliminate *only* alphanumeric
characters (upper- and lowercase), (b) eliminate alphanumerics but also
delete "normal" punctuation (e.g. it removes exclamation & question but
leaves in their Spanish inverted counterparts), (c) leave all accented
characters in place, (d) remove low-order accented characters too but leave
high-order ones. The macro produces a file that lists all the "surviving"
(i.e. non-alphanumeric) characters in default sort order, and then
eliminates all duplicates.

I anticipate that other responses will point to existing macros of this
kind on the XyW web site. I use my own mainly because -- oh, the wonder of
XyWrite's flexibility! -- of the possibility of varying the screening
criteria as described above.

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel