Re: DOSEMU/DOSBOX question

I've been following this thread with mild interest. I'm not sure it matters to me how or if my filenames are truncated. With XyWrite I'm content in many cases to use very short filenames with no extension at all, and it's served me well so far. As a project evolves for me in print layout or on the Web, my Xy-created text migrates elsewhere. Linux and Gnome also seem to recognize a text file with or without the .txt attached, so what the heck.

But just to contribute to our academic understanding of all this, I looked into how Dosemu and DOSbox display files on my two Ubuntu Linux boxes. I configured XyWrite 4.018 to run in DOSbox on one, in Dosemu on the other. A quick look confirmed what's been said here about Dosemu, and showed DOSbox to be more like my memory of MS-DOS. DOSbox is slower (maybe innately or maybe only as I have it configured, and I haven't tweaked that configuration since I started using Dosemu almost a year ago).

If anyone is interested in a more detailed comparison, I'm set up to do it and I'd just need an outline of criteria you want to compare.

Robert, Paul and others have significant experience with Linux, too, and I'm wondering this: Could we collaborate to create a Linux-friendly flash-drive installation of XyWrite?  With Dosemu installed by default in Ubuntu, it shouldn't be hard to set up the defaults and create a "launcher" (the GNU/Linux equivalent of a desktop shortcut).

My biggest grievance with Xy/Linux is the loss of the U2 functionality. I think that may be inevitable. It's an enormous loss.

Cheers,
Jeff Seager

More new features than ever. Check out the new http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/text.htm?ncid=aolcmp00050000000003!