XY under XP: finding config.xy

As I try to get everything set up under XP, I've run into a
problem. I do NOT run my DOS apps off C:; they have their own
partition, D:, Fat32, and hence are accessible from any opsys. I
carefully created a config.xy file, in c:\windows\system32,
containing some of the commands I include in my 98Se batchfile:
cd d:\xy4
d:
editor
also some path modifications, which will be more as I install Ghostscript and GSview.
The problem is that if the shortcut to Editor.exe is on the
Desktop, it cannot seem to find--or run--config.xy. When I move
the shortcut to d:\xy4, it works fine. But then I have to
navigate through d:, then xy4, to get to the shortcut. There must
be a better way. WHY is it so terrible to launch an app with a
batchfile?
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx