Re: Playing with LaTeX

Carl,

Wow! This is amazing. There are many possible uses of this intricate
system. I am perhaps too lazy to cultivate anything more than the basic
search and replace functions that come with Xy, EditPad or some variety
of grep. Still, this is an important contribution.

Given the roots of the program, having Xy as a LaTeX editor is something
that could have been a good idea to implement by the Xy copyright
holders instead of quitting the scene. Now there is the NB branch, but
the Xy branch should have been a back-end for a publishing system, with
integrated preview. Lyx and ShareLaTeX come to mind. Xy could have been
something similar. There are, of course, makeshift variants of this
idea. For example, I use conversion programs to produce XML-type code
for online publication. This involves several steps, and is not as easy
as it should be.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)