Re: Answer Found Re: How get Xy to use network printer

Paul Lagasse wrote:
This is an alternative to using NET USE to set up a printer for DOS; NET USE has never worked for me. Clearly something is wrong there, but tracking down solutions to "system error 66" has found a number of solutions that don't solve my problem.
I rather think, from what Ed Mendelson said, that that error
means an overzealous firewall or other security setting.
I created a new printer, identical to my existing one,and pooled the LPT1 printer and the USB001 printer, and behold, for the first time in years I could print from DOS.
Interesting workaround, though I don't know what's causing all
the problems with NET USE. Works for me like a charm. Well, one
time it didn't, and that was because spooling had gotten turned
off--and that caused problems even within Windows.
To review: to use the NET USE command to print to a USB printer
from Xy (or a DOS prompt or another DOS app):
1. You have to be running Win 2K or XP; doesn't work in 9x.
2. The computer has to have a NIC in it, and a Cat5 cable has to be plugged into the RJ45 port, and the other end plugged into a powered hub or switch (though apparently not in Vista). You don't, apparently, have to actually have any other real PCs in the network. Certainly they don't have to be turned on. 3. The printer has to be declared shared in Settings->Printers. I suggest using a short share name (no spaces, under 8 letters), though that's probably not necessary. Likewise for the Computer Name. 4. The printer must be able to read and interpret the data stream it is sent. That is, it must be compatible with the DOS driver you're using. That pretty much limits us to HP or Postscript, since Epson changed its specs and current Epsons no longer use ESC/P.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx