Re: Answer Found Re: How get Xy to use network printer

Patricia Godfrey wrote
Paul Lagasse wrote:
This is an alternative to using NET USE to set up a printer for DOS; NET USE has never worked for me. Clearly something is wrong there, but tracking down solutions to "system error 66" has found a number of solutions that don't solve my problem.

I rather think, from what Ed Mendelson said, that that error means an overzealous firewall or other security setting.

Perhaps. However, if I turn my firewall off, I get the same error message as always. What other security setting it might be I don't know (and don't know if that makes sense if another networked computer can find and print to the printer). BTW, the full error report is

"System error 66 has occurred.
The network resource type is not correct."

To review: to use the NET USE command to print to a USB printer from Xy (or a DOS prompt or another DOS app):
1. You have to be running Win 2K or XP; doesn't work in 9x.
2. The computer has to have a NIC in it, and a Cat5 cable has to be plugged into the RJ45 port, and the other end plugged into a powered hub or switch (though apparently not in Vista). You don't, apparently, have to actually have any other real PCs in the network. Certainly they don't have to be turned on.
3. The printer has to be declared shared in Settings->Printers. I suggest using a short share name (no spaces, under 8 letters), though that's probably not necessary. Likewise for the Computer Name.
4. The printer must be able to read and interpret the data stream it is sent. That is, it must be compatible with the DOS driver you're using. That pretty much limits us to HP or Postscript, since Epson changed its specs and current Epsons no longer use ESC/P.

1. I've only ever tried NET USE in XP; indeed reading an XP handbook is how I first learned of it. My joy that day was brief.
2. Got network card, have Cat5 or better (I think most of my network cable is CAT5e, some CAT5 and CAT6), have router attached to the computer, have a network of PCs.
3. Printer is declared shared. It can be seen and used by other computers on the network. Interestingly, "net view \\office," issued from the same computer that can't make a go of "net use," shows the (now two) printers:

":\Documents and Settings\Paul>net view \\office
Shared resources at \\office

Share name  Type   Used as  Comment

CLP-510     Print  CLP-510
CLP-510a    Print  CLP-510a
SharedDocs  Disk
The command completed with one or more errors."

The last line is interesting, but I don't know how to find out what the errors are, or if they matter.

4. The printer, when pooled with the pretender CLP-510a on LPT1, can, as I mentioned, print from DOS. And since I now have CLP-510a on LPT1, I have tried LPT2 and LPT3 with net use instead, just to see, and have had the same wonderful luck.

At this point though, thanks to the workaround, I'm not so worried about the NET USE issue. And in any case, I have other workarounds that I've used to print (prior to creating CLP-510a) when I've needed to print something from Xy4.

Life goes on.

-pl

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie