Re: DOS v Win encoding

On May 2, 2008, Robert Holmgren wrote :

> Believe it or not, CLIP.EXE actually
> converts to Unicode and then back to single byte -- so it would
> be a trivial matter to adapt CLIP.EXE to do SBCS to Unicode
> conversions and v.v.

Patricia kindly offered to send me some versions of CLIP plus "Robert's
tractate on the ins and outs of using CLIP.EXE to convert" <*> off-list,
but either she hasn't done so yet, or the mail has not arrived. Attempts
to contact her off-list have so far been unsuccessful.

<*> If by this she means the contents of Robert's long message from
which the above quote is taken, I already have that, thanks.

Robert, if it is not too much trouble, I would be much obliged for some
information on how to have CLIP.EXE convert to and from Unicode. I am of
course not expecting you to duplicate my special environment (Japanese
Win XP), but if you could give me some information about necessary
switches, I can probably take it from there.

Hat in hand,

Wolfgang Bechstein