RE: Invisible line break

You are forgetting the object sought: to have a discretionary (not forced
by a soft return) wordbreak after an en-dash or before or after an em-dash.

Wordperfect accomplishes this by a discretionary nonprinting hyphen.
XyWrite theoretically would do this through an entry in the word-separator
part of the Separator Table. The default list on p. 52 of the Xy4
Customization Guide appears to include an em-dash, but also states that you
can put into such tables only "characters from the first 256 characters in
the character set", and the en- and em-dashes are 259 and 260. (Presumably
what is printed in the manual is a #196 "center box bar horizontal".)

One can kludge a solution by surrounding em-dashes or following en-dashes by
a "thin space" character (existing in some fonts) (a regular space is too
large aesthetically, and even if the space after the em-dash doesn't print
then the one before it would), but this would translate inelegantly if at
all into other wordprocessing formats used by Patricia's clients.

No other solution would appear to exist unless the separator-table options
could be expanded.

Regards,

Paul Ambos
pambos@xxxxxxxx