Re: XyWrite 4 and Win98 2nd Ed.

Nicholas Clifford  wrote:

> do you mean that
> you have discovered a way to make it load in Win98 without waiting 50 seconds
> or so for it to show up on screen? I have tried changing the memory properties
> as you suggest, but I still have to wait for the program to load the first
> time. After that, I can go in and out of XyWrite as quickly as ever, until I
> turn the computer off or restart it, and then the same delay takes place.

I use Xy4DOS under Win98 (the Japanese version) on a positively
pedestrian 166 MHz plain-Jane Pentium machine with 64MB of RAM and a
fairly fast but not mind-boggling hard disk, and there is no delay
whatsoever in starting it up (3 or 4 seconds at most is all it takes).
In the PIF file, all the items under the "Memory" tab are set to
"Auto" and the "Uses HMA" box is checked. Under the "Screen" tab,
both items in the section "Performance" ("Fast ROM emulation" and
"Dynamic memory allocation") are checked. If your settings are
different, I'd suggest to give it a try.

(However, I do not have any McAfee or other virus scanners running or
installed on that machine. If these are the cause of the problem, as
your earlier message suggested, then the above may be irrelevant to
you.)

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx