Re: sefu3.pm syntax ?

flash:

> Can you give me an example of what to type on the cmd line
> with a real string in it, instead of placeholders?

Well, for starters, CAll SEFU3.PM and command RUN SEFU3.PM "3"
(with quotes around the "3"). The cursor should land on the first
3-byte character in the file (func "NO "). No? Executing the command
repeatedly should move the cursor from one func to the next. Yes?

If that works, then try RUN SEFU3.PM SV, which should find the
string "SV", just like the regular SEarch command.

Next, try DeFining the first occurrence of func BC in the file (in
the command "BC es 1XC "). Issue RUN SEFU3.PM with no argument.
It should find later occurrences of "BC ".

The DeFine usage is really the most apropos for Xy3, because
anything you can put on the CMline, you can SEarch for with the
native SEarch command; you don't need this program. Conversely, the
CMline won't accept 3-byte funcs and other 3-byte characters in
3-byte form, so the program in its CMline usage isn't very useful for
finding oddball stuff. The real power comes when you construct
search strings in text, DeFine them, and RUN SEFU3.PM (no argument
on the CMline). Well, you can put SEarch wildcard characters on the
CMline, but, unlike in Xy4, wildcards don't occur in text in Xy3,
only the functions that put the on the CMline, so there's no point
in trying to search for them.

Let me know if these commands work. And I have a couple of questions
for you:

What version of Editor are you running? (I tested in v3.58B.) And
what command(s) caused the "Too many program calls" error?

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx