Re: Protection Violation in XyWin

Renaming a file does not change it. In dealing with the general
instability of Word files, when I run into problems with them I
simply cut their contents and paste into a new blank file. That
always seems to take care of it. Although XY files don't carry
the enormous cargo of bloat that Word files do, that may get rid
of something that shouldn't be there.

If it doesn't work, since you say the problem occurs ca. 30% of
the way through a 63K file, I would move bytes 15000 to 25000 to
a separate file (keeping a backup, of course) and see if that
solves the problem. If it does, I would move those bytes back 5K
at a time until the problem recurs (again with backups). You
could then, if you with, move the offending 5K out again, and
move it back in 1K increments, etc., until you have found the
culprit. Once you know which 1K it is, visual inspection should
solve the problem. That way you don't lose anything else.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science