Flat Panel Displays -- the sequel

I knew there were a variety of technologies at work in these
things, and apparently they can be quite different. On a recent
trip, I had occasion to run Xy-4.018 on my host's new flat-panel
display, bought to replace an ailing CRT monitor. Xy ran fine,
right off the bat, without recourse to any change of h/w or
Win-98 or Xy settings. Filled the screen just fine, no squashed
characters. The display's sharpness was far from the last word
in such things, but then this was the ViewSonic VA-700, not
exactly cheap but probably their lowest line. I have seen
ViewSonic's former top line, the VP series, at trade shows, at
which time the 18-incher exceeded 3 Grand. That was one truly
impressive panel, and very sharp indeed.

At the same time, I was never able to get an acceptable display
on their ThinkPad A-series laptop, running Xy under W2K. But I
never really had the time to mess with it, and would also need to
chart all the key scancodes anyway, in order to arrive at a
workable result. (Separate problem.)

It seems to me this may have something to do with whether the
panel has TFT / Active Matrix (or whatever the fancier display
technologies happen to be), vs. some lesser type of color LCD.

Jordan