Re: available memory

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
I just pulled up one of my largest Xy files, 112,468 Bytes, heavily formatted, and ran some SEearches and CVs on it, and I did not go OOM or get the dreaded "Cannot continue scrolling" message (which can sometimes be escaped from by switching to expanded mode).
In WinXP and in Dosemu/Linux, I have regularly culled and created 3.4 MB text files using XyWrite; a second file is always open as the first grows and is usually c.400KB. Xy seems to fail somewhere above 4 MB of open files in WinXP; the barrier seems to be higher in Dosemu with EMS set to 4096 in .dosemurc (I played with it prior to writing this, and I had 6.2 MBs open in 5 files and ran a successful cia command; opened another .7 MB and had Dosemu hang with the next cia command. I'd never normally have this much open. The X appeared somewhere around 4 MB.)
Xy4 had preferred config.sys and/or autoexec.bat settings in the old DOS
days, relating to files and buffers I think. I've been searching, trying
to find out what those were, because I'd like to tweak the similar files
in Dosemu. Does anyone remember what those settings were? Many thanks.

Paul Lagassé

--
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie