Linux and XyWrite.

[Daniel Say:]

>≪Yes, I'm using Xywrite 3+ in DosBox 0.35 in Suse Linux 8.2, but you
>could use Xdosemu or Dosemu.≫

[Patricia M Godfrey:]

>Thank you, thank you, thank you, Daniel. I've been trying to find out
>about this for years now. Is DosBox 0.35 part of the SuSe distro, or
>downloadable from somewhere? (SuSe is the distro I am most tempted by,
>for various reasons.)

   This is of real interest to me, since I am probably going to change to
Linux, and it gives me a hope of using XyWrite after all - a hope I have largely
given up for a couple of years, since my copy (ver. 4) sometimes freezes when I
try to use it with Windows 95, especially in the 50-line mode which I prefer.
(I have never been able to find out the reason this happens - but it makes me
mistrust the program in Windows.)
   I actually don't understand these Linux details now, but I will keep them
for future reference: perhaps I will understand them once I've learned a bit
more about Linux.
   My older brother uses Linux professionally, and he will probably be my main
source of help; and he has recommended that the Red Hat version might be the
most suitable for me to use. (I think it's called something else I forget now,
but it's essentially the same one. Fedora, or something?)
   Given that other versions of Linux have been recommended in this group, my
question is: should I go with one of these others and forget Red Hat? Or is it
a relatively minor point, and can I use Red Hat, as my brother recommends, and
still use XyWrite reliably?
   I suppose no-one in this group would *ever* recommend against XyWrite, so
maybe it would be futile to ask whether my best course might be to abandon
XyWrite altogether, and instead find a good Linux-based word-processor. But if
anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate them. Thanks.

             Regards,
             Michael Edwards.