Re: Xywrite 3 on Linux in DosBox

≪Yes, I'm using Xywrite 3+ in DosBox 0.35 in Suse Linux 8.2, but you > could use Xdosemu or Dosemu.≫ > > Thank you, thank you, thank you, Daniel. I've been trying to find out > about this for years now. Is DosBox 0.35 part of the SuSe distro, or > downloadable from somewhere? (SuSe is the distro I am most tempted by, > for various reasons.) > Patricia It's 0.50 with SuSE 8.2 and probably a higher number with the latest 9.1 SuSE. Yes it was part of the distro. There are lots of other distributions of Linux and many will have it included on a CDRom of the 5 disk set. I haven't upgraded either version, yet. In Linux, try opening the Editor.exe "..Open.with" (right mouse button) or Alt+F3 [??] and seeing various options presented as: DOSBox Bochs DOSEMU XDOSEMU WINE etc. etc. Still Linux with XWindows graphical system is a large ( > gigabyte ) install. Where are the days of a 25k DOS Command install? Those wanting to try Linux in a generally harmless way might try Knoppix, a bootable CDROM that write protects all disks at the start, except for the virtual (RAMdisk) desktop. It is free, can be downloaded from many places as an 740Megabyte ISO image to burn a CDROM, or picked up for a few dollars from several sources. Unfortunately, it doesn't get better than this. You may find yourself saying: Is that all there is? [No, DOS emulation is not on the Knoppix CD, but you can download and install that part later. ]