Re: Various virtual machines compared

Kari, I have not managed to get XyWrite up on Windows 8, but I got
Mac OS Mountain Lion running stably and rapidly in about an hour,
using Virtual Box and the instructions here:

http://lifehacker.com/5938332/how-to-run-mac-os-x-on-any-windows-pc-using-virtualbox

Also, FreeDOS is reported now to have been updated, and is officially
capable of running win 3.1. So maybe it's worth your having a look again?

http://www.freedos.org/technotes/technote/200.html
(very bottom, hard to read on Chrome)

Here are my issues.

1. Getting DOS into 43 lines. There are instructions but it is so
long since I have done this kind of thing that I have forgotten how
to interpret the commands as written.

2. Once that is done I would have thought XyWrite would run ?

3. FreeDOS 1.1 has support for networking but I don't know how to use it.

4. I cannot access the non-virtual-hard-drive in my DOS box. (i.e.
access files between the real and virtual machines)

5. I cannot even access the non-virtual-hard drive in my Mountain Lion box!

So I'm afraid I'm pretty hopeless! But at least I can run the
Mac-only programs I need efficiently now. Even touch works! (I have
been lent a Dell XPS One 27 Touch to test, which is how I
conveniently happen to have Win 8 running.)

I could also try installing XP in Virtual Box . . . . but if it's
only really for XyWrite, isn't Win 3.1 a much better choice? I have
forgotten why just running DOS is deprecated.

All best,

Bill