Re: I want to go geek .. and VPC?

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on
Sun, 03 Jun 2007 14:23:08 -0400

> >I don't see how that offers any benefit over
> >installing XyWrite on your machine. What is achieved?
>
> I can think of two things:

I can think of more than two things. And I can see several ways
to do this too, with an up-to-the-minute ZIPfile thingee that
could be kept on a server, for download and "Open"ing; but how
would that accommodate your personal KBD file, your personal
preferences? The only element of XyWrite that is standardized
is EDITOR.EXE -- the rest is totally personalized! I could do
this for me, on my server; you could do it for you, on your
server; but how does this help the general public? I would have
no interest at all in a "generic installation" -- I want my
stuff, or nothing at all. Moreover, it would not be a small
file! When you get right down to it, XyWrite isn't small,
because to use it fruitfully (today), you need to interface with
a LOT of external support files. You're probably looking at a 3
to 8Mb download, using 7z, depending on how much of that
external baggage you want to include (different strokes for
different folks).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx