Re: I want to go geek .. and VPC?

Robert Holmgren wrote:
how would that accommodate your personal KBD file, your personal
preferences?  I want my stuff, or nothing at all.

I mightn't go that far (I'd still rather use plain vanilla,
out-of-the-box Xy than any flavor of Weird), but its customizability
is precisely one of the greatest things about Xy.
to use it fruitfully (today), you need to interface with
a LOT of external support files.

And that's an issue that any Portable installation (which I still
think is the way to go) needs to take into account. I realize most
folks here don't print. But I do, a lot; and I need to create PDFs
(thanks again, Robert, for Xy2PDF). So I'd want Ghostscript and GSView
as part of any such setup. Now the interesting thing is that there is
an outfit with the intriguing name of U3 that is selling a specialized
setup for flash drives that enables one to run apps (even full 32-bit
Windows apps) off the drive; no installation, apparently, required. I
think they already have versions of Firefox and Thunderbird. That
sounds very promising.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx