Re: NB as Xy

Patricia wrote:
Well, I couldn't resist that. For the record: Thorn is the letter, used in some Scandinavian languages (definitely Icelandic; not sure off the top of my head which others) and Old and Middle English to represent the sound of th in the word thorn (in OE, at least), hence its name. IIRC, it is also used in the International Phonetic Alphabet to represent one of the th sounds (there are two in English: this and though).

I thought, from crossword puzzles, that that was "edh."
Eszet (a name I confess I had never heard or seen before; in typography it's sometimes called Sharp ess) is the character used in modern German for double ess

Gee, that one I also recall by a different name--bloss or something like that?

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx