Re: XY, Vista, choices

At 11:52 AM 3/8/2008, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
According to Ed Mandelson's WP5 site, some version must, because after warning every WP5 user not to touch Vssta with a bargepole, he says that if they're so ill-advised or unfortunate as to try, they'll have to use Tame (version unspecified), because WP5 crawls on Vista.
I saw that. So only two people here are running XY under Vista? At
the risk of provoking a discussion, I'll say that I held on to W98SE
too long just to run XY the way I wanted. (Finally, I tackled TAME,
and through weeks of blind experiment got the thing to work. Then
Harry started working on it and expanded our working knowledge quite
a bit.) We're not in the same situation with XP/Vista, yet.
Many institutions, mine among them, have not moved to Vista, but
they will, come the summer or fall when their purveyors stop offering
XP OEM. So I appreciate your experiments, Patricia. I'll ask our
department Sysop to locate some Vista machines somewhere on campus. I
have not put XY on a flash drive yet (at work I simply have it on my
terminal) but I will and try to test.
Michael Norman